This weathered antique white rose,
looked like this salvaged gold rose I just sold. I wanted a layered chippy finish.
I gave it several layers of matte antique white paint, and did some bending, chipping, and distressing. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but I just kept going until I was happy with it.
I went further with the distressing in certain spots, but made sure the predominate color was white.
This metal rose is another salvaged piece. I wanted to give a very plain frame a little more character. Sorry, no before. I attached the rose to the frame, and alternated layers of white, grey, and aqua over the entire piece. Lots of dry brushing, and distressing gave me this.
There was no bending involved with the rose. I chipped the finish with a file, and my fingernail.
So, experiment, improvise, and take a few chances. You just might get the finish you want. See ya soon.