My intention was to make the embellishments look like they had been there all along. I also wanted to keep some of the chippy quality.
I started by giving the piece a good cleaning and a light sanding. I then added my rose embellishments, followed by a grey primer.
I also switched to a crystal knob. Next came a couple layers of a white gesso/paint mix. The paint I used was a slightly creamer white, and the gesso gave it more body. I wanted a hint of the original white, and the grey primer to show through.
You can still see some of the chippy as well.
It looks great with my shabby basket of flowers.
I did an imperfect dry brush of blue in the interior.
Just like my basket, I decided not to do a wash over the finish. I like it like this for now.